Why is mental health so important?
Have you ever wondered whether or not you have a good mental health?
There are many difficulties that can happen every day. We are under pressure not only from our work or family issues, but also from our daily life. Mental health is the ability to control one’s emotions in a positive, optimistic way. Only if the spirit is strong, can it easily overcome all kinds of challenges.
In today’s article, let’s find out some self care tips for mental health with us!
Table of Contents
How to Improve Your Mental Health?
A person with good mental health always sees things from a bright, positive angle. By that, they can easily come up with a simple solution for any difficult situation. Meanwhile, those who are mentally unstable always blame themselves for almost everything.
Health is human’s most precious resource, especially the mental health.
Who doesn’t want to have a healthy body and a healthy mind, right? Here, you can try out these 7 following ways in order to improve your mental health and nourish your spirit every day.
See also: Prayers for strength during tough times
Yoga is a practice that combines physical, mental and spiritual practices, mainly based on breathing exercises and meditation.
Practicing yoga gives you lots of benefits including:
- Improved flexibility
- Gaining muscle
- Building healthy posture
- Increasing spine bone density
- Stimulating blood circulation
- Boosting the immune system
- Having a healthy heart
You can start practicing with 3 basic yoga poses:
- Mountain Pose: Strengthening your bones
- Downward Dog: Very useful for stretching and relaxing the spine, strengthening the leg muscles, making shoulders and arms stronger
- Warrior Pose: Building up the legs, arms, back, increasing your stamina and making the hip muscles stretched.
Scent extracted of certain plants can help you promote a healthy body and mind in the long run. Sometimes it’s called essential oil therapy. The benefits that you get from this method depend on the type of scent you choose to use.
Most scent extracts will help you reduce stress and anxiety, lighten your mood, stop insomnia and low appetite, and stimulate all of your senses.
The skin has the ability to absorb essential oils. A massage therapist may add a few drops of it to help loosen up your tight muscles. For a calm, soothing soak, some skincare company can add lavender to their bath salts.
Take a deep breath
You can do this anywhere, anytime you want. The effects of deep breathing can be mentioned as helping to regulate heart rate and blood pressure in the body.
Follow these steps below:
- Find a quiet, comfortable place to sit or lie down.
- Breathe normally without straining or pushing.
- Then breathe in deeply through the nose until your chest and abdomen feel stretched.
- Exhale slowly through your nose and mouth.
Meditation helps you relax, nurtures your inner energy, encourages your empathy and forgiveness, purifies your the soul, and stimulates your mind to be more alert.
Practicing this method every day can improve your health and nourish your spirit. The wide range of benefits of meditation include:
- Reducing high blood pressure
- Relieving the stress pain
- Promoting the body’s production of serotonin
- Boosting immune system activity
- Increasing energy levels
- Reducing anxiety
- Stabilizing mood
- Promoting creativity
- Creating the feelings of happiness
- Developing the 6th sense
- Soothing the mind to be more peaceful
- Enhancing concentration
You can start your meditation practice by:
- Sit or lie down comfortably.
- Close your eyes and breathe slowly.
- Focus on your breathing, noticing how your body moves as you exhale and inhale. If you lose focus, then start all over again.
- Try to do it for a few minutes when you first start, then you can extend the time to improve your concentration.
Sleep on time and get enough sleep
Getting enough sleep every day plays an important role in keeping your body and mind healthy.
Check out some tips to help you get a good night’s sleep every day:
- Go to bed at a fixed time every day including the weekends.
- Spend time outdoors in the evening to lift up your mood.
- Do not use electronic devices such as phones or computers at night. The blue light from the screens of these devices can reduce the melatonin production.
- Exercise every day. However, you should note that the session must end 4 hours before the bedtime.
Make time for personal hobbies
After a long day of excellently completing your to-do list, you deserve to reward yourself with relaxing activities: playing with your pet, decorating your room, cooking, meditating, or reading books.
Slow living activities and minimizing digital screen exposure allow you to live fully in the present and relieve the burden of worries about the future. You can also venture into a new language or an exciting new skill. With many online courses available today, you have more free and quality ways to learn than ever before.
In short, stay mentally healthy by keeping yourself busy with small pleasures every day. Not much, but certainly enough to lighten your spirits in a world that always seems too stressful.
Help people around you
It is difficult to know how to effectively help someone else, especially when things are currently overwhelming for each individual.
But helping the community can erase feelings of helplessness, give you the true life purposes, and bring things back to normal. If you know someone near where you live who is struggling financially, physically or mentally, you can share food, help them buy things, or simply listen to their stories and lend them a hand to let them know that they are not alone.
You can also donate money or supplies to homeless shelters.
Local volunteer organizations are the channel you can contact and ask for contribution and support. Instead of spending a lot of money, just a small gesture like sending a message card can make a huge change. But, firstly, focus on taking care of your own mental health, and you can help others later.
That’s all for self care tips for mental health!
Hopefully, after reading this article, you can understand what mental health is better and recognize how important it is. None of us can predict what might happen to us in the future. Therefore, learn how to build a strong mental wall to withstand any event.
Those spotting any signs of emotional instability, do not hide, you have to face it and find a way to overcome the difficult period.